Wheat IS is a project aiming at building an International Wheat Information System to support the global wheat research community. The main objective is to provide a single-access web base system to access to the available data resources and bioinformatics tools.
This project is based on the following principles:
- Collective building of the WheatIS to better respond to the needs of the international wheat community;
- Incremental implementation to offer rapidly an operational information system;
- Emphasis on Quality Assurance to serve as a framework for an approach with incremental implementation;
- Promotion of an open-access model for data exchange;
- Reliance on a distributed system;
- Use of Virtual Machine and Cloud Computing technologies to facilitate sharing data and tools;
- Promotion of the visibility of each participating platform to contribute to their sustainability.
The project is lead by the WheatIS Expert Working Group. It aims to provide the following deliverables:
- Creation and animation of a network of experts, collaborating to provide the scientific community with wheat genetic and genomic data.
- Standards, protocols, and processes for wheat data sharing in keeping with different international bioinformatics initiatives. Guidelines and recommendations will be disseminated and shared between bioinformatics teams and the scientific community. These documents will be accessed through a web site and regularly updated according to the evolution of the scientific fields.
- A web platform allowing the exchange of standardized data files, built on a collaborative and interoperable network of platforms, working together.
- A single entry point for the wheat community to find available data through a full text search engine, allowing searching the central repository and the databases of the platform network dynamically.
- Integrated data focusing on relevant data sets, chosen with the wheat scientific community.
- Develop Project work plan and annual activity reports of the EWG activities.
- Research proposals to get funds for the implementation of the WheatIS.
The Wheat IS portal is under construction. More information can be found at http://wheatis.org.