Training Course on “Genomics-Assisted Breeding of Wheat”
28-29 October 2019
Cosmopolitan Hotel, Via del Commercio Associato 9
The training course organized by the Wheat Initiative through the Expert Working Groups on Durum Wheat Genomics and Breeding, and the one on Breeding Methods and Strategies will present an overview on how to translate the most advanced genomic information into breeding practices through genomics-assisted breeding protocols. The two-day intensive course will offer an opportunity to train wheat geneticists and breeders from the private and public sectors on essential tools to support genetic analysis and wheat selection.
Day 1 will introduce the theory of marker-assisted selection and genomics selection with lectures and tutorials presented by prof. Rex Bernardo (University of Minnesota, USA) and of crop simulation modelling. A number of case studies in MAS will be presented. On day 2, case studies of genomics selection in cereals will provide a comprehensive and critical overview of ongoing projects in the public and private sectors. The following speakers have confirmed they participation:
· Rodomiro Ortiz (Swedish University of Agricultural Sciences, Sweden)
· Gilles Charmet (INRA, France)
· Keith Gardner (NIAB, UK)
· Joachem Reif (IPK Gatersleben, Germany)
· Susanne Dreisigeker (CIMMYT, Mexico)
· Marco Maccaferri (University of Bologna, Italy)
· Elisabetta Mazzucotelli (CREA, Italy)
· Frank Ordon (JFK, Germany)
· Christopher Burt (RAGT, France)
· Agostino Fricano (CREA, Italy)
· Roberto Confalonieri (University of Milan, Italy)
· Bruno Poupard (Limagrain)
· Curtis Pozniak (University of Saskatchewan, Canada)
· Yehoshua Saranga (university of Jerusalem, Israel)
· Steven Xu (USDA, North Dakota, USA)
The course is limited to 60 participants accepted on a first‐come, first-served basis. A number of travel grants to attend the course will be made available through the Wheat Initiative. Each travel grant can be used to cover the cost of up to three nights at the hotel, meals and travel expenses. The maximum grant contribution will be related to the distance of travel as follows:
· Participants from Italy: no travel grant
· Participants from countries of WANA region and Europe except Italy: up to 600 Euro
· Participants from Asian and African countries other than the WANA region: up to 800 Euro
· Participants from USA, Canada, Central and South American countries: up to 1,000 Euro
· Participants from Oceania countries: up to 1,200 Euro
Registration will close on 5th September 2019 and the grant recipients will be notified on 15th September.
Please note that the Training Course will take place at the Cosmopolitan hotel. If you plan to stay in the hotel, you must make a reservation by September 23 in order to receive a discounted rate. Note that the payment is not refundable. If you reserve a room after the 23rd, you must pay the daily rate.
PLEASE SEND YOUR COMPLETED APPLICATIONS TO THE FOLLOWING:
Wheat Initiative Secretariat at firstname.lastname@example.org and Luigi Cattivelli at luigi.cattivelli@crea,gov.it
The organizers look forward to welcoming you in Bologna.